“One of the most devastating fires in recent Sullivan County history took down the main building of the Villa Roma...the trouble began Tuesday night after an orthodox Jewish group had completed its cleansing process of the kitchen for the upcoming Passover holiday...The ovens in the bakery were heated up to clean off any remaining residue. Around 10 p.m. the work was completed and the Rabbi left. About 10-15 minutes later, the fire alarm went off.”
Sullivan County Democrat, 5/14/2006
Burn Center Report
The largest burn center in the country reports that 30-40% of patients come from observant Jewish families.
Schwartz, S. (1995) Fire! Jewish Observance and Burn Prevention. Retrieved from www.tzemachdovid.org on May 6, 2005.
Three Boys Killed in Passover Fire
“The Fire Department has concluded that an apartment blaze that killed three boys over the Passover holiday was caused by a ‘prolonged heat’ from a gas stove flame and that aluminum foil covering the cabinets and counter served to fuel the fire. ...Investigators found a dead battery in the apartment’s smoke detector.”
Associated Press, 4/29/2005
Passover Oven Blamed in Fire
“Passover oven blamed in yeshiva fire; 100 people resided in 2-story building that was destroyed..."
The Journal News, 4/26/2005
Five Burned in Pre-Passover Fire Ritual
“Five are burned in pre-Passover fire ritual in Brooklyn. ...the annual ritual, which involves burning leavened bread and other food not permitted during the Passover holiday."
The New York Times, 4/6/2004
“Crate and Barrel is recalling 800 Hanukkah menorahs because they can catch fire. There has been one report of a menorah catching fire...”